December 20, 2015
Words – they are powerful and when put in just the right order, they are almost magical. I love words. I also love the end of a calendar year and the beginning of a new one. Looking back at the highlights, figuring out what went right and what went wrong, and mostly thinking about all that might happen…could happen…should happen in this new year. It is exciting and motivating.
So for this blog, I thought I’d share with you my top twenty favorite quotes of the year. Obviously, they were not all said or written this year – but they came to my attention or I was reminded of them this year. Hopefully you will find these particular combinations of words to be enlightening and inspiring as you close out your version of 2015. Feel free to post them on your Facebook or Twitter – or hang them on your refrigerator or share them with your grandmother. It doesn’t matter – but I believe these are quotes – word combination – that should be shared and that should sink into our souls, changing and enriching us. Enjoy.
1. “Sometimes I can feel my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I’m not living.”—Jonathan Safran Foer,
2. “A ship in port is safe. But that’s not what ships were built for.” – Unknown
3. “Make your life a story worth telling.” -Unknown
4. “Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember and remember more than I have seen.” Benjamin Disraeli
5. “People who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” -Apple
6. “Not all those who wander are lost.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
7. “You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.” – Malcolm S. Forbes
8. “It’s not hard to make decisions once you know what your values are.” – Roy E. Disney
9. “Travel: It leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.”
10. “All progress takes place outside the comfort zone.” –Michael John Bobak
11. “The thing that surprises me most about God is that the Creator of the universe wants a relationship with me.” – Rick Warren
12. “It is never too late to be what you might have been.” George Eliot
13. “If you are not willing to risk the usual, you will have to settle for the ordinary.” –Jim Rohn
14. ”Opportunities don’t happen. You create them.” –Chris Grosser
15. If equal affection cannot be, let the more loving one be me.” —W. H. Auden
16. “Do I dare…Disturb the universe?” —T. S. Eliot
17. “The half life of love is forever.”—Junot Diaz
18. “I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded; not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night.”—Khaled Hosseini, The Kite Runner
19. “A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” – Greek Proverb
20. Stop looking for happiness in the same place you lost it.” – Unknown
Which is your favorite quote from my list? If you have any favorite quotes that stuck in your head this year, share them with us!