JULY 10, 2014
I teach a course called, “How to Build a Life: Intelligent Life Strategies.” In this course, we talk about what it takes to build a satisfying and meaningful life. One of our topics revolves around the art of connecting with people. I always tell my groups that there is “connecting” with people (making a good first impression) and then there are “permanent connections” – connecting to the point where people can’t live without you. The world is fickle – so what can you do to make sure you outlast the competition, the trends and people’s ever-changing moods?
Here are my suggestions of what I believe make a person indispensable – the kind of person I’d want to keep around forever. (Personally or for business. ) These are the qualities that separate the men from the boys, the girls from the women, the amateurs from the professional and good from the extraordinary:
1. Take RESPONSIBILITY: Own It. Success or failure, take responsibility, never shift blame.
2. Show up and be on TIME: Buy a watch.
3. Plan for ADVANCEMENT: Know where you’re going.
4. Generate IDEAS: Contribute something of value.
5. Be HONEST: All the time, in every area. Even in the small things.
6. Keep SECRETS: Knowledge is power – gossiping is weakness.
7. Be an EXPERT. Know your job better than anyone.
8. Make your boss look GOOD: Happy, successful bosses keep those who helped him achieve his goals.
9. Be POSITIVE – never negative: No one likes constant negative energy.
10. Be FLEXIBLE: We all need to bend with the wind from time to time.
11. Do not COMPLAIN: Have more solutions than problems.
12. LEARN from your mistakes: Jump, fall, make mistakes, but learn, grow and continue.
13. Improve your SKILLS: Strive to be a better version of yourself.
14. Provide excellent CUSTOMER service: You are the face of your company – or the relationship. Never embarrass your boss or friend.
15. Get a sense of HUMOR: Learn to laugh – it helps!
16. TEACH others: Help others look good and succeed.
17. Take on EXTRA responsibility cheerfully: Go the extra mile.
18. SACRIFICE and make me believe that you find it to be a privilege to be part of the team.
19. FINISH what you start: Never leaving something unfinished.
20. Be LOYAL: Stability of character will never be thrown away.