Philip C. Johnson, Ph.D.
April 20, 2019
Well, after nearly two years, the Mueller Report was finally released revealing whether or not President Donald Trump and/or his team colluded with, conspired with or worked hand-in-hand with Russia and Vladimir Putin to steal the 2016 Presidential election from the Democratic Party and the media-anointed Hilary Clinton.
The bottom line is this: Did Russia try to influence the most recent U.S. elections? Yes. Did Trump collude with them? No.
And guess what? After 675 days of investigations, the Mueller’s special counsel came up with nothing. Ultimately, the special counsel’s office, among other things, issued more than 2,800 subpoenas, executed nearly 500 search warrants, made 13 requests to foreign governments for evidence, and interviewed approximately 500 witnesses, according to Attorney General Barr’s letter. And they spent 25 million dollars of tax payers’ money and ultimately bored me to death. It turns out that President Trump did not conspire with the enemy to steal an election. But I think everyone sort of already knew that, except the Democratic Party and the Mainstream Media. So here are my thoughts on this topic:
- It’s boring. The whole thing has just bored me senseless. Other nations have been tampering with other country’s elections forever. Of course Russia tried to influence the 2016 elections. Just like the U.S. has its own history of global election meddling. (Iran, Russia, Ukraine, Latin America and Eastern Europe just to name a few.) But I’ll be benevolent and say that usually, the motivation of U.S. meddling is a bit more noble and not designed just to sow chaos, but to promote democracy – but not always. In 2015, the Obama Administration tried to unseat Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. According to the U.S. Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, the State Department gave nearly $350,000 in taxpayer-funded grants to a political group in Israel in order to make sure Netanyahu was forced out of his role as Prime Minister. Netanyahu survived and is still in power. Interestingly, one journalist characterizes Netanyahu political path as “being radicalized by Obama and unleashed by Trump.” Curious thought… But the bottom line is this: Did Russia try to influence the most recent U.S. elections? Yes. Did Trump collude with them? No.
- Is the whole matter settled and over? Of course not. The Mueller Report was unable (or unwilling) to exonerate Trump on the possibility of obstructing justice. (Not that this is the special counsel’s job to exonerate people or not…) But they also couldn’t point to anything specifically that Trump DID to obstruct justice. Maybe he said a lot of things – and maybe he was frustrated – as anyone would be if they are being targeted unfairly. But he did nothing to hinder the investigation. And since he was never guilty of any crime, what exactly could he have obstructed?
Of course it’s never going to be over for the mainstream media. They have staked their credibility and ratings on finding Trump guilty of something – so they’re not going to give up.
- What about the Mainstream Media? Of course it’s never going to be over for them. They have staked their credibility and ratings on finding Trump guilty of something – so they’re not going to give up. Nor will they invite anyone on their “expert panels” to actually have an honestly intellectual conversation about the 2-year long probe into the lives of so many. It’s very difficult to hear truth or balance in an echo chamber where the talking points and world-views are identical.
They are only interested in power and in trying to shove cultural changes down the throats of citizens in the march towards Communism. Yes, I said Communism.
- What about the Democratic Party leaders? The Democrats have nothing else to talk about – because God knows they’re not interested in discussing ways to make our country better or to solve problems. They are only interested in power and in trying to shove cultural changes down the throats of citizens in the march towards Communism. Yes, I said Communism. The same kind that hates religion, wants to eradicate faith from public life, and believes that the government can more effectively take care of a population by stripping them of their basic freedoms and redistributing their wealth. History has shown how that turns out.
Oh, it’s taken a while, but if you check, you’ll see that the trajectory of the Democratic Party has gone from classically liberal to left-leaning to totally left of center to progressive to quasi-socialist to blatantly socialist. There’s nowhere left to go except into the arms of Communism. Too bad Vladimir Putin couldn’t put the Soviet Union back together again because then the progressive leftists would have someone worth colluding with. How ironic.
Again, the Mueller report tried their best, but couldn’t find any collusion with Russia. But they’re dodgy on the matter of “obstruction of justice.” Which is ridiculous.
- Is President Trump totally exonerated? Yes and no. Again, the Mueller report tried their best, but couldn’t find any collusion with Russia. But they’re dodgy on the matter of “obstruction of justice.” Which is ridiculous. Trump was not found guilty of collusion and he provided more information, more transparency and more cooperation to the “Special Counsel” than I think he needed to. Especially given the obviously biased make up of the investing team that was desperately trying (once again) to trap him, unseat him and explain the reason – any reason – that Trump won the presidency in 2016. It COULD NOT be because Americans were tired of the direction the country was headed. It COULD NOT be because people wanted national security, enforced immigration laws, a scaling back of spending money on endless wars where no gains were being made or because they wanted a better economy. No, it had to be that Trump stole the election by colluding with the Russians.
But President Trump will be fine – my hope is that he will lead above the purposely leftists-cultivated division in the U.S. and either undo the last 50 years of American progressive ideology or create a kind of political reawakening the likes of which we haven’t seen in a long time. Or he can just completely, and permanently break the current norms of the American political establishments and root out the deep state. I’m OK with any or all.
Every other nation in the world will now have to accept that Trump might be around for six more years – so on the foreign policy front, I expect to see Trump push harder and other countries cooperating more.
- What will things look like going forward? The Democrats will make a lot of noise. They will talk impeachment. They will continue to try to disrupt this presidency. But if anything, I have more confidence in Mr. Trump’s ability to handle the pressure, the accusations, the media-bias and still get stuff done during the next chapter of his administration. It has now become more likely that Trump will get reelected in 2020 – which will have two effects: (Whether he wins or not. To be honest, anything can happen. These days, things change on a daily basis).
First, the very idea that Trump might get a 2nd term will drive the progressive left and most of the media absolutely crazy, which will be interesting, annoying and predictable to watch play out.
Second, every other nation in the world will now have to accept that Trump might be around for six more years – so on the foreign policy front, I expect to see Trump push harder and other countries cooperating more. I can already see the smiles of cooperation on Macron’s, Trudeau’s, May’s and Xi’s faces at their next encounter. Germany’s Angela Merkel will probably greet him with a kiss. He seems pretty hard to get rid of.
It will be interesting to see if the new Attorney General, William Barr will turn the tables and if the hunters will now become the hunted.
And that’s what you get when you elect a non-politician, aggressive businessman who attempts to keep his campaign promises, loves his country and has weathered lots of storms. And now that this part of the hunt is over – it will be interesting to see if the new Attorney General, William Barr will turn the tables and if the hunters will now become the hunted. Because there are A LOT of questions about what started this whole investigation, how it was carried out, whose privacy was needlessly invaded, who paid whom for a fake dossier and who actually colluded with whom to try to unseat an elected President.
Oh, and did I say that the whole thing is boring. Yeah…boring. I’d appreciate it if our government would stop trying to remake America into an image that our Founding Fathers would never have wanted, nor recognized. Let’s get back to a classic Constitutional Republic, give power back to the States – and people, get the government to stay out of everyone’s business and allow people to enjoy their freedoms, express their viewpoints, get rid of identity/victim group politics and focus on individual liberty and individual equal opportunity, individual responsibility and keep our country strong and safe.
End of rant.